Happy Halloweekend! In typical fashion for me, I chose to go the “cute” route with this year’s costume: Cotton Candy! I’ve seen a few variations of this look on the Internet but decided to put my own spin on it. Here’s a simple step-by-step tutorial of how I made this easy costume.
What you’ll need:
- An article of white clothing, in any style you like – I used a white tube dress for my costume
- Polyester fiber fill -I bought a 576 g bag, which was more than enough!
- Spray adhesive
- Light pink and light blue spray paint
- In a well ventilated area, lay out your article of clothing and apply a light coat of spray adhesive to a small section. Make sure to protect your work surface (I used a garbage bag), as anywhere the adhesive touches will remain tacky.
- Take a small piece of the polyfill and apply it to where you sprayed the adhesive. Work in small areas alternating between applying the adhesive and sticking on the polyfill. I tried to create a wispy look with the polyfill to mimic the look of the spun sugar.
- Continue until the entire article of clothing is covered (flipping over halfway to cover the other side). Allow adhesive to dry for a minimum of one hour.
- Once dry, the costume is ready for a layer of spray paint! Spray your costume with the paint in short, even coats. I used the pink towards the top of the dress, and the blue towards the bottom, blending halfway to create an ombre effect.
- Allow to dry for a minimum of one hour.
I also created a simple head piece for the costume to add the perfect finishing touch. To make this topper, I painted a small piece of polyfill with the pink spraypaint and hot glued it to a cone made of white cardstock. This was then hot glued to a headband the same colour as my hair.
Cotton Candy Makeup:
To complete the costume, I created a cute makeup look with things I already had in my makeup drawer.
I used a pink blush on both my eyes and cheeks to accentuate the cotton candy colour scheme and also added a sparkly loose shadow to my lids for an extra pop. I always love to add a bit of sparkle on halloween, so I added some silver glittery eyeliner to my usual black wings, and glued on some clear rhinestones with some eyelash glue. Some false lashes for drama and a pretty cotton candy pink lipstick finished the look.
See more pictures of my finished costume below:
Wishing you a spooktacular Halloween!